Wayward Living Tip & Giveaway: Vegan Deodorant
A while back, I wrote about how I gave up commercial toothpaste in favor of natural toothpaste. Since then, I’ve discovered that the same brand makes another product I love to use every day: deodorant.
This makes me an ideal customer, according to Sandy Francis, who operates the company Nutressant with her husband John. She says:
“The two most important products we offer are the toothpaste and deodorant, as both have a significant impact on our health and are products that most people, male and female, use daily.”
Athough evidence is not conclusive that traditional deodorants increase the risk of breast cancer, I gave up my Secret long ago. Why chance it by slathering such suspect ingredients as aluminum and paraben under your arms when natural alternatives exist?
Many people’s hang-up on this issue has to do with the fact that a lot of natural deodorants do not double as anti-perspirants. So, you might smell OK, but you still end up with wet pits.
I used to counteract this effect by combining two natural products — Burt’s Bees Herbal Deodorant spray and Tom’s of Maine Deodorant stick. Between those two companies, I could have found a single item solution.
But then I found Nutressant, which is made and marketed in the Kansas City area. Bonus points for buying local!
Like all Nutressant products, the deodorant with antiperspirant contains all vegan ingredients, including shea butter and non-GMO cornstarch. The only weird thing about it is it doesn’t roll on. The ideal way to apply it is with your fingers. (I just rub it in right after my morning shower and I’m good to go for the day.)
For those worried about making the switch, the Francises include some detailed instructions on the back of their product.
If you live in Kansas City and want to try out some Nutressant products, you can find John and Sandy at various farmers’ markets around the metro.
They will also ship their wide variety of personal care and household cleaning products just about anywhere. Head over to the Nutressant fan page on Facebook or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Want to win some FREE Nutressant products? You can. Here’s how:
- PRIZE: Pre-selected assortment of Nutressant products donated by the company.
- TO ENTER: Comment on this post with the words “I WANT TO WIN!” and explain why you love — or would like to try — using natural or organic personal care products.
- GIVEAWAY CLOSES: Saturday, March 10, 2012 at midnight CST
- NUMBER OF WINNERS: One
- PRIZE SHIPS: Within the 50 United States
- USUAL STUFF: One entry per e-mail address is permitted. The winner will be selected using random.org and announced on Sunday, March 11, 2012 as an update to this post and on the Wayward Dogs fan page on Facebook (which you should totally LIKE). I will also email the winner on the 11th for mailing address to send the prize out. Got it?